Geotechnical drilling or Geotech drilling as it is called, is a type of drilling that is performed as part of the construction process. This is primarily for structures such as buildings and oil rigs, or as part of the investigation procedure carried out on site prior to construction. Geotechnical drilling services can involve exploratory drilling combined with testing and instrumentation installation to determine sub-surface ground characteristics for infrastructure development purposes including storage feasibility or upgrades, pipeline alignment investigations, hydro-electric dam feasibility investigations or upgrades, road network evaluation and construction or foundation design for buildings.
Usually geotechnical drilling is used for site assessment. Site assessment is performed to determine if a site is going to be suitable for construction. This involves drilling to collect rock and soil samples, as well as drilling to establish soil stability and other matters of interest.
Unsafe rock or soil conditions could prompt a structural collapse, or cause a hazardous situation during an earthquake or flood
As part of the construction procedure, geotechnical drilling involves preparation for foundations, caissons, and various supports.
Geotechnical exploration is also performed in the search for banks of minerals, oil, gas, and other invaluable resources in the Earth. Drilling contractors would be required to take core samples and obtain information about the site. In this situation, geotechnical drilling might be completed by drilling contractors who specialise in scientific drilling applications, as opposed to drilling for construction.
Sigma Plantfinder Ltd have a comprehensive range of Geotechnical Drilling Rigs and Geotechnical Piling and Drilling Equipment to suit each application, including Geotechnical Drilling rig brands from Hanjin, Nordmeyer, Boart Longyear, Dando, Pilcon, Bonne Esperance and many more.
We have Geotechnical Drilling Rigs for sale, an excellent range of used compact and powerful high productivity Geotechnical Drilling machines to allow work to be completed efficiently and effectively, Capable of conducting drilling, sampling and testing operations .
Please contact one of our Team for further information on Mini Piling and Geotechnical Drilling, Micro Piling Rigs.
The methods of Geotechnical rock drilling for production holes are:
1a. Rotary High rotational speed, low torque and thrust
1b. Rotary Low rotational speed, high torque and thrust
2. Rotary Percussive – Top hammer – Down-the-hole hammer
3 Rotary Vibratory (Sonic)
In brief there are several key factors which should logically lead to the selection of the best rig for any project:
• Power: must allow the chosen drilling method to be used with maximum efficiency.
• Thrust/Pull back: must give appropriate thrust during drilling, and sufficient pull back from the maximum drilling depth.
• Manoeuvrability: must permit the drill hole to be drilled at every angle and azimuth with minimal delay between set ups.
• Stability: must ensure that the mast remains constant in orientation during drilling with minimal vibration or “drift”.
• Accessibility: must permit access to all hole locations, even if in low headroom, tight access locations or steep slopes.
• Noise emission: must satisfy regulatory requirements.
• User friendliness: must be readily and safely operable by personnel who may not be fully acquainted with the specific rig type.
Sigma Plantfinder Ltd. offer a range of drilling machines, drilling rigs and drilling equipment to ensure cost-effective solutions for most ground conditions, to the depth required and correct pile sizes.